Mallahan nets four markers in non-conference setback
Mansfield, Conn. – The Fitchburg State women's lacrosse team dropped a 16-11 decision to the Warriors of Eastern Connecticut State in non-conference action this afternoon from the Rick McCarthy Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 11, Eastern Connecticut State 16
Records: Fitchburg State (2-9) | Eastern Conn State (2-10)
How It Happened
Eastern Connecticut took a 3-0 advantage as junior Tristan Kijak (Windsor, Conn.) struck for a pair of goals, while freshman Gabby Abramcyk (Bristol, Conn.) added one score before the Falcons cut the deficit to 4-2 as senior Sarah Mallahan (Dracut, Mass.) notched two markers.
The Warriors extended their lead to 7-3 when sophomore Sydney (Northford, Conn.) registered her 14th score of the season, but the Falcons responded with junior Rebecca Fisher (Dracut, Mass.), Mallahan and senior Sarah Napolitano (Peabody, Mass.) finding the back of the net to make the score 9-7 going into the break.
Following the intermission, Eastern Connecticut upped its lead to 11-7 on two scores apiece by Abramcyk and junior Madison Renaud (Somers, Conn.). Junior Tracy Long (Georgetown, Mass.) would strike for Fitchburg State with her team-leading 27th tally before the Warriors answered back with two quick markers by Hogan and Abramzyk, resulting in the 16-11 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Fourth meeting between the two teams in women's lacrosse with the Falcons 0-4 vs the Warriors
- Napolitano led the way for the Falcons with five points on two goals and three assists as well as two groundballs and one caused turnover
- Fisher added one goal, two assists, four groundballs and four caused turnovers for Fitchburg State
- Hogan finished with three goals, three assists and three groundballs for the Warriors
- Marguerite Belcher (Quincy, Mass.) turned aside ten shots for Fitchburg State in the setback
- Olivia Donahue (Avon, Conn.) made six saves for Eastern Connecticut in the victory
Falcons will host the Rams of Framingham State University on Saturday for a MASCAC tilt, starting at 12:00 PM. Warriors will host the Spartans of Castleton University on the same date for an LEC matchup at 12:00 PM.