Napolitano finishes with game-best nine points
North Adams, Mass. – The Fitchburg State women's lacrosse team defeated the Trailblazers of MCLA, 16-5 this afternoon in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon from Shrewcroft Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 16, MCLA 5
Records: Fitchburg State (2-8, 1-1 MASCAC) | MCLA (0-6, 0-2 MASCAC)
How It Happened
MCLA opened the scoring as senior Brianna Morris (Salem, N.Y.) found the back of the net just 27 seconds into the contest, but Fitchburg State responded with six straight tallies. Senior Sarah Napolitano (Peabody, Mass.) connected on two scores, while juniors Nicole Kopacz (Tewksbury, Mass.), Rebecca Fisher (Dracut, Mass.), Molly Cote (Lowell, Mass.) and Tracy Long (Georgetown, Mass.) netted one goal each for the 7-1 lead.
The Trailblazers cut the deficit to 8-3 with junior Kim Granito (Glenmont, N.Y.) notched back-to-back scores before the Falcons took a 10-4 margin into the break as Long netted two scores, while Napolitano potted her third of the contest.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State extended its lead (14-4) when senior Jessica Hall (Dracut, Mass.), junior Alyssa Anderson (Lowell, Mass.), Long and newcomer Julia Miele (South Hadley, Mass.) struck for goals.
The Green and Gold secured the victory as Napolitano and senior Amanda Hem (Lowell, Mass.) capped the scoring in the contest, resulting in the 16-5 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Fifth meeting between the two teams in women's lacrosse with the Falcons 5-0 vs the Trailblazers
- Napolitano paced the Falcons with nine points on five goals and four assists as well as four ground balls and one draw control
- Kopacz chipped in with one goal, one assist, one ground ball, one caused turnover and six draw controls
- Granito finished with four goals, one assist, seven ground balls, five draw controls and one caused turnover for the Trailblazers
- Marguerite Belcher (Quincy, Mass.) stopped six shots for Fitchburg State in the victory
- Shannon Prouty (Leicester, Mass.) made seven saves for MCLA in the setback
Falcons will travel to Eastern Connecticut State on Thursday for a non-conference tilt, starting at 7:00 PM. Trailblazers will host the Wildcats of Bay Path College on Tuesday in non-conference action at 7:00 PM.