Belcher stops career best 20 shot in conference setback
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's lacrosse team dropped a tough 12-9 decision to the Buccaneers of Mass. Maritime Academy in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon at Elliot Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 9, Mass. Maritime 12
Records: Fitchburg State (1-7, 0-1 MASCAC) | MMA (7-3, 1-0 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Mass. Maritime grabbed a 2-0 advantage on goals by sophomore Anna Deely (Marstons Mills, Mass.) and senior Erica Overstreet (Bridgewater, Mass.) before the Falcons knotted the score (2-2) on scores from freshman Julia Miele (South Hadley, Mass.) and senior Sarah Mallahan (Dracut, Mass.).
The Falcons would take a 4-3 margin as junior Tracy Long (Georgetown, Mass.) found the back of the net for her 14th tally on the year, but the Buccaneers responded with a trio of scores from freshman Alyssa Blumenthal (Braintree, Mass.) to make the score 8-4 going into the break.
Following the intermission, Mass. Maritime upped its lead (10-4) on goals by Overstreet and sophomore Casey Sullivan (Sagamore Beach, Mass.), but Fitchburg State battled back as Long junior Nicole Kopacz (Tewksbury, Mass.) connect on scores to cut the deficit to 10-6.
The Buccaneers answered back with Blumenthal netting her fourth tally of the contest before the Green and Gold capped the scoring when Long and senior Sarah Napolitano (Peabody, Mass.) registering back-to-back markers, resulting in the 12-9 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Eighth meeting between the two teams in women's lacrosse with the Falcons 7-1 vs the Buccaneers
- Long paced the Falcons, totaling five points on four goals and one assist as well as one ground ball and one draw control
- Kopacz added one goal, seven ground balls, four draw controls and five caused turnovers for Fitchburg State
- Blumenthal finished with a game best five points on four scores and one helper to go along with four ground balls and two caused turnovers for the Buccaneers
- Marguerite Belcher (Quincy, Mass.) stopped 20 shots for Fitchburg State in the setback
- Laura Kleber (Westport, Mass.) made 11 saves for Mass. Maritime in the win
Falcons will host the Chargers of Colby-Sawyer College on Tuesday for a non-conference tilt, starting at 5:00 PM. Buccaneers will host the Lancers of Worcester State on Friday for a MASCAC matchup at 7:00 PM.