Chestnut Hill, Mass. – The Fitchburg State Women's Basketball team defeated the Gators of Pine Manor, 70-54 in non-conference action this evening from the Brunelli Court.
Score: Fitchburg State 70, Pine Manor 54
Records: Fitchburg State (2-10) | Pine Manor (2-6)
How It Happened
Pine Manor took a 5-3 advantage on a three-pointer from freshman Talaisha Solier (Lawrence, Mass.) before the Falcons went on an 11-2 run, capped by a Jadelen Harold (Nantucket, Mass.) jumper for the 14-7 edge. The Green and Gold would then take a 23-15 margin after one quarter of play as senior Emma Thomson (York, Maine) drained a trey.
The Falcons upped its lead (32-17) on a layup from junior Payton Holmes (Carver, Mass.) and a three pointer by senior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.), but the Gators countered with a Kierra Jackson (Pikesville, Md.) to cut the lead to 32-22. Fitchburg State extended the margin to 38-23 as Marazzi drilled another trey, while Pine Manor chipped the deficit to 38-30 going into the break on a Jackson layup.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State pushed the lead to 43-30 on a Holmes and one before a Ladaeja Robinson (Boston, Mass.) layup reduced the margin to 43-35. The Gator continued to battle with Jackson connecting on a layup to make the score 46-43, but the Falcons a pair of free-throws from Marazzi put the visitor up 48-44.
With the score 55-49, the Green and Gold, went on a 15-3 stretch midway through the final frame as Thomson led the charge with eight points over the run for Fitchburg State, resulting in the 70-54 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Green and Gold were led Thomson with a team-best 20 points, six boards and two assists
- Marazzi and Holmes added 16 points each for Fitchburg State
- For the Gators, Jackson poured in a game-best 27 points and 14 rebounds
- Freshman Mandy Mastropasqua (Portland, Ore.) chipped in with 12 points, two caroms, two assists and four steals for Pine Manor
- 11th meeting between the two teams on the basketball court with the Falcons 5-6 all-time when taking on the Gators
- Fitchburg State shot 24-of-57 (42.1%) from the field and (8-for-22) 36.4% from downtown
- Pine Manor finished 21-of-63 (33.3%) overall and (2-for-15) 13.3% for beyond the arc
- Fitchburg State finished with 46-33 edge on the glass
Falcons will host the Vikings of Salem State on Saturday for a MASCAC matchup, starting at 12';00 PM. Gators will travel to Wellesley on the same date to take on the Blue for a non-conference bout at 1:00 PM.