Worcester, Mass. – The Fitchburg State Women's Basketball team's rally came up just short as the Falcons were edged, 71-69 this evening by the Cougars of Clark University in non-conference action from the Kneller Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 69, Clark 71
Records: Fitchburg State (0-2) | Clark (1-1)
How It Happened
Clark opened the contest with 10-2 margin on a layup from Ginny Benbow (Durham, Conn.) before Fitchburg State answered back with a three ball by senior Emma Thomson (York, Maine) and buckets from Catherine Coppinger (Boston, Mass.) and Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) to cut the lead to 10-9, After a layup by Hallie Johnson (Princeton, Mass.) gave the Cougars a 20-17 lead,, the Falcons knotted the score at 20-20 with Thomson draining another trey.
Fitchburg State grabbed a 25-22 margin on three-pointer by Thomson, but Clark would take a 30-28 lead as Johnson sank a free-throw for the host. The Cougars upped their lead to 35-28 on a Hannah Favaloro (Blackstone, Mass.) basket, while the Falcons cut the deficit to 35-31 going into the break as junior Payton Holmes (Carver, Mass.) drilled a three-ball from the right elbow.
Following the intermission, the Green and Gold chipped the lead to 38-35 with sophomore Jadelen Harold (Nantucket, Mass.) connecting on a layup before Clark went on an 8-2 run, capped by a Julia Beebe (Andover, Conn.) jumper for the 45-39 advantage.
Trailing 66-49 early in the fourth quarter, Fitchburg State battled back, going on a 17-2 run to cut the lead to 68-66 as Thomson, Holmes and Marazzi all hit a pair of three-pointers during the stretch for the visitors. Clark countered however with Johnson knocking down a three-ball for the 71-66 edge before Marazzi drained a three-pointer, but that's as close as the Falcons would get as the Cougars held on for the 71-69 victory.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Thomson with a game-best 18 points, two boards, one assist and one steal
- Holmes chipped in with 15 points, two caroms and one steal for Fitchburg State
- For the Cougars, Emily Sifferlen (North Andover, Mass.) finished with team-best 15 points, seven steals and three rebounds
- Benbow added 15 points, two assists and one steal
- 16th meeting between two schools with Falcons 6-10 all-time vs the Cougars
- Fitchburg State shot 27-62 (43.5%) from the field and (14-for-23) 42,4% from three point range
- Clark finished 29-of-73 (39.7%) overall and (5-for-24) 20.8% for beyond the arc
- Falcons held a 45-36 margin on the glass
Falcons return to action on Friday as they travel to Colby-Sawyer to take on the Chargers for a non-conference tilt, starting at 5:30 PM. Cougars will visit Dean College on Saturday for a non-conference matchup at 12:00 PM.