Bridgewater, Mass. – The sixth seeded Fitchburg State University women's basketball team dropped an 89-68 decision to the third seeded Bears of Bridgewater State this evening in quarterfinal round action of the 2018-19 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Women's Basketball Post-Season Tournament at the Tinsley Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 68, Bridgewater State 89
Records: Fitchburg State (9-17, 2-10 MASCAC) | Bridgewater State (14-12, 8-4 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Bridgewater State opened the contest with a 13-0 lead, capped by an Olivia Dziadyk (Wakefield, Mass.) layup before Fitchburg State answered with a three-ball from junior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.). The Bears extended their margin (27-6) as newcomer Hannah Dziadyk (Wakefield, Mass.) connected on a jumper.
Bridgewater State upped its advantage (33-6) as junior Nicole Bostick (Taunton, Mass.) hit a bucket, but the Falcons responded with baskets from Marazzi, junior Emma Thomson (York, Maine) and senior Kerry Brodbeck (Boston, Mass.) to make the score 45-20 going into the break.
Following the intermission, Thomson netted a layup for the Green and Gold to cut the lead to 45-22 before the Bears pushed their margin to 50-27 on a Bostick three-pointer. Fitchburg State answered back with a trey by Thomson and a Catherine Coppinger (Boston, Mass.) layup though (52-32).
The Falcons continued to battle, cutting the deficit to 67-45 on buckets by Brodbeck and Coppinger, but Bridgewater State would secure the victory as sophomore Destiny Fitzgerald (Medford, Mass.) hit a layup, resulting in the 89-68 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Marazzi with a game-best 27 points and five rebounds
- Thomson added 11 points and four boards for Fitchburg State
- Fitzgerald paced the Bears with a team-leading 18 points and eight rebounds
- O. Dziadyk chipped in with 13 points and two caroms for Bridgewater State
- 68th meeting between two schools with Falcons 15-53 all-time vs the Bears
- Fitchburg State shot 24-for-63 (38.1%) from the field and (8-for-19) 42.1% from three point range
- Bridgewater State finished 34-of-70 (48.6%) overall and (7-for-15) 46.7% for beyond the arc
- Bears held a 47-35 margin on the glass
Falcons conclude their season with an overall record of 9-17 and a 2-10 mark in conference play. Bears advance to the semifinal round on Saturday and will travel to second seeded Westfield State for a contest starting at a time to be determined.