Bridgewater, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's basketball team suffered a tough 89-61 setback to the Bears of Bridgewater State this afternoon in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action from the Tinsley Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 61, Bridgewater State 89
Records: Fitchburg State (9-16, 2-10 MASCAC) | Bridgewater State (13-12, 8-4 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened the contest with a 6-4 lead on baskets by juniors Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) and Catherine Coppinger (Boston, Mass.) before Bridgewater State knotted the score (6-6) as senior Danielle Arcidacono (Bellingham, Mass.) hit a bucket. The Falcons responded with sophomore Chloe Roberts (Hanson, Mass.) draining a three-ball for the 9-7 edge.
The Bears would take a 21-14 advantage on a Kailyn Aguiar (Acushnet, Mass.) layup, but the Green and Gold answered back with a three-ball by Marazzi. Bridgewater State took a 46-24 lead into the intermission though as senior Olivia DelGrosso (Ledyard, Conn.) closed out the first half scoring with a bucket.
Following the break, Fitchburg State chipped away at the lead with Coppinger hitting a basket, before Bridgewater State extended their margin (51-28) on a DelGrosso layup. The Falcons responded with Roberts and Marazzi connecting on back-to-back three ball to make the score 65-38.
Fitchburg State started the fourth quarter on a 7-0 run on buckets from junior Emma Thomson (York, Maine), classmate Kerry Brodbeck (Boston, Mass.) and Marazzi (67-45), but the Bears secured the victory on a Arcidacono layup, resulting in the 89-61 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Marazzi with a team-leading 16 points and five assists
- Roberts added 14 points and two boards for Fitchburg State
- Arcidacono paced the Bears with a game-best 20 points and two steals
- Agiuar chipped in with 18 points and 11 rebounds for Bridgewater State
- 67th meeting between two schools with Falcons 15-52 all-time vs the Bears
- Fitchburg State shot 23-for-67 (36.5%) from the field and (10-for-26) 38.5% from three point range
- Bridgewater State finished 38--of-78 (48.7%) overall and (3-for-12) 25.0% for beyond the arc
- Bears held a 46-37 margin on the glass
Falcons clichéd the sixth seed in the 2019 MASCAC Women's Basketball post-season tournament and will travel to the third seeded Bears of Bridgewater State on Tuesday 7:30 PM. Bears will host the Falcons on Tuesday for a conference quarterfinal round contest at 7:30 PM.