Worcester, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's basketball team dropped a 96-73 decision to the Lancers of Worcester University this afternoon in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at the John P. Brissette Court.
Score: Fitchburg State 96, Worcester State 73
Records: Fitchburg State (9-13, 2-8 MASCAC) | Worcester State (18-5, 9-1 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Worcester State opened the contest on a 6-0 run as senior Kate Suprenent (Pelham, N.H.) hit a pair of buckets before Fitchburg State cut the lead to 11-10 on back-to back threes from junior Catherine Coppinger (Boston, Mass.) and classmate Emma Thomson (York, Maine). The Falcons continued to battle, taking an 18-13 advantage as juniors Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) and Emily Beauvais (Haverhill, Mass.) connected on baskets.
The Green and Gold extended their margin (35-26)) as Marazzi and senior Kerry Brodbeck (Boston, Mass.) made jumpers, while Brodbeck added one from the charity stripe. Fitchburg State would push their margin to 45-37 on a three ball from Marazzi, but the Lancers cut the deficit to 45-41 going into the intermission as freshman Sarah Blomgren (Lunenburg, Mass.) sank two free-throws.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State upped its margin (50-45) on a three ball from Thomson before Worcester State responded to take a 51-50 edge on two buckets by Surprenant. The Falcons cut the lead to 55-54 on a jumper from Thomson, but the Lancer would take a 64-58 lead after three quarters as sophomore Sam Maglione (Lancaster, Mass.) hit a three-pointer.
Worcester State upped their lead (66-58) on a Kaitlyn Berkel (Waterford, Conn.) layup before sophomore Chloe Roberts (Hanson, Mass.) buried a deep three-pointer. The Lancers secured the victory though as freshman Jocelyn St. Onge (Ware, Mass.) connected on a layup, resulting in the 96-73 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Marazzi with a game-best 29 points and three rebounds
- Thomson chipped in with eight points and two assists for Fitchburg State
- Suprenant paced the Lancers with 26 points and one assists
- Maglione added 22 points and three boards for Worcester State
- 70th meeting between two schools with Falcons 21-49 all-time vs the Lancers
- Fitchburg State shot 26-for-66 (39.4%) from the field and (8-for-21) 38.1% from three point range
- Worcester State finished 37-of-65 (56.9%) overall and (12-for-21) 57.1% for beyond the arc
- Lancers held a 42-29 margin on the glass
- Falcons had an 11-8 advantage in assists
Falcons will host the Owls of Keene State College on Monday for a non-conference tilt, starting at 5:30 PM. Lancers will host the Bears of Bridgewater State on Wednesday for a conference matchup at 7:30 PM.