Lambert collects 100th career hit in game two
Salem, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University softball team swept the Vikings of Salem State University, 7-1/10-1 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action his afternoon from Alumni Field. With the two win, the Falcons set a new single regular season wins mark of 23, surpassing the previous mark of 22 set by the 2002 squad are just three shy of the all-time record of 26 victories, also held by the 2002 team.
Score: Fitchburg State 7, Salem State 1 (Game One)
Score: Fitchburg State 10, Salem State 1 (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (23-13, 7-5 MASCAC) I Salem State (11-21, 2-10 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State took a 1-0 margin in the top of the first as freshman Audrey Johnson (Fitchburg, Mass.) reached on a fielding miscue to bring home junior Mikayla Harnois (Attleboro, Mass.) before Salem State knotted the score (1-1) in their half of the first when freshman Luciana Mastromatteo (Peabody, Mass.) came home on a wild pitch.
The Falcons regained the lead in the fourth with senior Maddie Medina (Pelham, N.H.) notching an RBI groundout to short to plate freshman Lundyn Forcier (Woonsocket, R.I.) for the 2-1 edge. The Green and Gold upped their advantage in the top of the fifth when Medina ripped a two-run double to left center, while senior Michelle LeBlanc (Ashburnham, Mass.) added an RBI single to make the score 5-1.
Fitchburg State secured the victory in the sixth, scoring runs as Johnson singled in a run before senior Samantha Woodman (Essex, Mass.) crossed the plate on a wild pitch, resulting in the 7-1 final.
Fitchburg State opened the scoring in the top of the third as LeBlanc singled home freshman Courtney Luker (North Reading, Mass.) and junior McKenzie Lambert (Wilbraham, Mass.) blasted a two-run home run to left center for her 10oth career hit. Senior Michaela Keenan (Boston, Mass.) followed with two run double for the 5-0 lead.
The Falcons extended their margin in the top of the sixth when Medina and Forcier collected RBI's, while Johnson followed with a two-run single to center, resulting in the 10-1, game two final.
Inside the Numbers
- 83rd meeting between the two teams in softball with the Falcons 35-47 vs the Vikings
- Medina went 1-for-3 with a double and three RBI for the Flacons
- Mastromatteo finished 2-for-3 with one run scored and a stolen base
- Harnois earned the win for Fitchburg State, allowing one unearned run on seven hits with two K's in the complete game effort
- Dominique Del Vecchio (Stoneham, Mass.) took the loss for Salem State, giving up seven runs (5 earned) on seven hits with three strikeouts in seven innings of work
- Johnson hit 2-for-3 with one run scored and two RBI for Fitchburg State
- Kasey Nolan (Braintree, Mass.) collected two hits and an RBI for Salem State
- Taylor Colvin (Lancaster, Mass.) picked up the win for the Falcons, yielding one run on three hits with three K's in six innings of work
- Gracie Hogan (Northbridge, Mass.) suffered the setback for the Vikings, giving up five runs on eight hits with one strikeout in four innings pitched
- With her two-run blast, Lambert reached the 100 career hit milestone in game two
- Falcons set new single season, regular season wins mark with their 23rd win on the year
Falcons will host the Cougars of Clark University on Tuesday for a non-conference double header, starting at 3:30 PM. Vikings will host the Beavers of UMaine Farmington on the same day for a non-conference twin bill at 3:00 PM.