Lambert and Harnois lead Falcons to key conference sweep
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University softball team picked up a sweep of conference rival MCLA in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon from Coolidge Park as the Falcons notched a 4-1 triumph in the opener before completing the sweep with a 2-1 victory in the nightcap.
Score: Fitchburg State 4, MCLA 1 (Game One)
Score: Fitchburg State 2, MCLA 1 (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (16-8, 4-0) I MCLA (5-17, 0-4 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third as junior McKenzie Lambert (Wilbraham, Mass.) singled to plate senior Maddie Medina (Pelham, N.H.) before the Trailblazers knotted the score (1-1) in the top of the fifth when Kaylyn Holliday (Catskill, N.Y.) single left field to bring in junior Kara Adams (Walden, N.Y.).
The Falcons regained the lead in their half of the fifth with senior Melissa DiPhilippo (Norfolk, Mass.) drove in senior Hayley McCarthy (Lawrence, Mass.) with a groundout, while Lambert added an RBI groundout that scored Medina later in the inning for the 3-1 edge.
The Green and Gold capped the scoring in the bottom of the sixth as McCarthy singled to center field that plated senior Michelle LeBlanc (Ashburnham, Mass.), resulting in the 4-1 final.
Fitchburg State grabbed a 1-0 advantage in the bottom of the third when Lambert launched a solo home run to straight away center field for her third homer on the season. MCLA would tie the contest (1-1) as sophomore Alanza Quinones (Cohoes, N.Y.) brought home senior Erika Quackenbush (Hoosick Falls, N.Y.) with a double to right center.
The Falcons answered back in the bottom half of the fourth as LeBlanc groundout to shortstop to drive in senior Nicole Sylvester (Everett, Mass.), who had reached on a walk to start off the frame, resulting in the 2-1, game two final.
Inside the Numbers
- 85th meeting between the two teams in softball with the Falcons 49-36 vs the Trailblazers
- Lambert led the way for the Falcons in the opener, going 1-for-3 with two RBI
- Adams finished 2-for-4 with a double and one run scored for the Trailblazers
- Mikayla Harnois (Attleboro, Mass.) picked up the win for Fitchburg State, allowing one run on seven hits with three K's in the complete game effort
- Samantha Feinstein (South Yarmouth, Mass.) took the loss for MCLA, yielding four runs (3 earned) on eight hits with five strikeouts in six innings of work
- Lambert was strong for the Falcons again in the night cap, hitting 1-for-2 with a home run, one run scored and an RBI
- Quinones hit 1-for-3 with a double and an RBI for the Trailblazers
- Taylor Colvin (Lancaster, Mass.) collected the win for Fitchburg State, giving up just one hit in 3.1 innings of relief
- Morgan Watson (Portland, Ore.) suffered the setback for MCLA, allowing two runs on four hits with one strikeout in five innings of work
Falcons will host the Lancers of Worcester State University on Tuesday for a MASCAC twin bill, starting at 3:00 PM. Trailblazers will travel to Westfield State on the same date for a conference double header at 2:00 PM.