Falcons take game one, 9-1; Edged 6-5 in nightcap
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University split a non-conference double header with the Panthers of Plymouth State this afternoon from Coolidge Park as the Falcons registered a 9-1 triumph in the opener before dropping the night cap, 6-5.
Score: Fitchburg State 9, Plymouth State 1 (Five Inn) (Game One)
Score: Fitchburg State 5, Plymouth State 6 (Eight Inn) (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (14-8) I Plymouth State (9-9)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State grabbed a 2-0 advantage in the bottom of the first as freshman Olivia Pietersen (Norton, Mass.) and senior Melissa DiPhilippo (Norfolk, Mass.) crossed the plate following a throwing miscue.
The Falcons upped their lead (4-0) in the bottom of the third when freshman Lundyn Forcier (Woonsocket, R.I.) brought home junior McKenzie Lambert (Wilbraham, Mass.) with a fielder's choice, while senior Maddie Medina (Pelham, N.H.) collected an RBI groundout.
Plymouth State cut the deficit to 4-1 in the top of the fourth with newcomer Katie Burk (East Islip, N.Y.) plating sophomore Samantha Cushing (Amherst, N.H.) with a run scoring single before the Green and Gold responded with five runs in the their half of the fourth as Pietersen, Forcier, Medina and senior Michaela Keenan (Boston, Mass.) notched RBI base knocks, resulting in the 9-1 final.
Plymouth State jumped out to a 2-0 advantage in the top of the second as junior Nora Butler (Tewksbury, Mass.) and senior Hannah Seidner (Pembroke N.H.) registered RBI's in the frame before the Panthers upped their lead to 3-0 in the fourth with Butler notching an RBI with a sacrifice fly to left field.
Fitchburg State knotted the score at 3-3 in the bottom of the fourth when Medina drew a bases loaded walk, while Lambert and Forcier added an RBI fielder's choice and a sacrifice fly. The score remained tied at 3-3 going into the eight as Plymouth State regained the lead (6-3) on an RBI triple from newcomer Madison Harris (Randolph, Mass.) and a sacrifice fly from senior Kayla Nester (Fairfax, Vt.).
The Falcons would answer back in the bottom of the eighth as Lambert singled home junior Emma Campbell (Goffstown, N.H.), while Forcier followed with run scoring groundout, but that's as close as the hosts would get as Miller induced an game ending pop up resulting the 6-5 game two final.
Inside the Numbers
- 58th meeting between the two teams in softball with the Falcons 15-42-1 vs the Panthers
- Keenan led the way for the Falcons in the opener, going 2-for-3 with two RBI
- Burk went 1-for-2 with an RBI for the Panthers
- Taylor Colvin (Lancaster, Mass.) picked up the win for Fitchburg State in game one, allowing one run on four hits with four K's in the complete game effort
- Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) suffered the setback for Plymouth State, giving up nine runs (7 earned) on nine hits with four strikeouts in 3.2 innings of work
- Lambert hit 2-for-5 with a triple and two RBI for Fitchburg State in game two
- Butler finished 2-for-3 with a run scored and two RBI for Plymouth State
- Mikayla Harnois (Attleboro, Mass.) suffered the loss for the Falcons, yielding six runs (3 earned) on seven hits with two K's in 7.2 innings pitched
- Miller picked up the win for the Panthers, allowing two runs (1 earned) on one hit with one strikeout in two innings of releif
Falcons will host the Trailblazers of MCLA for a MASCAC twin bill on Saturday, starting at 2:00 PM. Panthers will travel to the University of New England on Tuesday for a non-conference doubleheader at 3:30 PM.