Lambert blasts two home runs in conference sweep
Buzzards Bay, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University softball team swept the Buccaneers of Mass. Maritime Academy, 11-0/9-0 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon from Rollins Field. With the two victories, Falcons head coach Merry MacDonald recorded her 100th career coaching victory.
Score: Fitchburg State 11, Mass. Maritime 0 (Five Inn) (Game One)
Score: Fitchburg State 9, Mass. Maritime 0 (Five Inn) (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (12-6, 2-0 MASCAC I Mass. Maritime (0-8, 0-2 MASCAC)
How It Happened
The Falcons upped their margin in the top of the fourth when senior Nicole Sylvester (Everett, Mass.) laced a two-run double to left field, while classmate Michelle LeBlanc (Ashburnham, Mass.) added a two-run single to center field. Freshman Olivia Pietersen (Norton, Mass.), newcomer Audrey Johnson (Fitchburg, Mass.), senior Hayley McCarthy (Lawrence, Mass.) and Medina would also added RBI base hits in the frame, resulting in the 11-0 final.
Fitchburg State grabbed an early 3-0 edge in the top of the first as Lambert launched her second two-run home run of the day before freshman Lundyn Forcier (Woonsocket, R.I.) added an RBI single down the left field line.
The Green and Gold extended their lead (7-0) in the top half of the fourth when newcomer Courtney Luker (North Reading, Mass.) notched a run scoring single, while Lambert followed with a two-run double down the left field line.
Fitchburg State secured the sweep in the fifth with Forcier ripping an RBI triple to center that plated Johnson before Forcier crossed the plate following a throwing miscue, resulting in the 9-0, game two final.
Inside the Numbers
- 53rd meeting between the two teams in softball with the Falcons 53-0 vs the Buccaneers
- Fitchburg State head softball coach Merry MacDonald recorded her 100th career coaching victory with the two wins
- LeBlanc paced the Falcons, game one offense, going 2-for-3 with two runs scored and two RBI
- Melissa Cochrane (Walpole, Mass.), Jenna Nalette (Goffstown, N.H.) and Madison Ovadek (Greenland, N.H.) finished with one hit each for the Buccaneers
- Mikayla Harnois (Attleboro, Mass) earned the victory for Fitchburg State, giving up just three hits with two K's in four innings of work
- Cochrane took the loss for Mass. Maritime, yielding two runs on five hits with two strikeouts in four innings pitched
- Lambert went 2-for-3 with a double, home run, two runs scored and four RBI for Fitchburg State in game two
- Lucia Buzzell (Quincy, Mass.) led Mass. Maritime's game two offense, hitting 2-for-2 with a double
- Emma Campbell (Goffstown, N.H.) picked up the win for the Green and Gold, allowing just one hit in three innings of relief
- Nalette suffered the game two setback for the Buccaneers, giving up nine runs on 12 hits with three K's in the complete game effort
Falcons will host the Colonels of Curry College on Wednesday for a non-conference twin-billing, starting at 3:30 PM. Buccaneers will travel to Bay Path College tomorrow for a non-conference double header at 1:00 PM.