Register 17-5 victory over Keystone in opener; Fall 8-0 to Pikeville in nightcap
Myrtle Beach, S.C. – The Fitchburg State softball closed out its annual spring trip this afternoon after defeating Keystone College, 17-5 in the first game of the day before dropping an 8-0 decision to the Bears of Pikeville University in the nightcap at the Fast Pitch Dreams Classic.
Score: Fitchburg State 17, Keystone 5 (Game One)
Records: Fitchburg State (6-3) | Keystone (4-4)
Score: Fitchburg State 0, Pikeville 8 (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (6-4) | Pikeville (9-6)
How It Happened
In game one, Fitchburg State broke open a 1-0 contest in the top of the second, scoring 13 runs as freshman Olivia Pietersen (Norton, Mass.) and senior Maddie Medina (Pelham, N.H.) notched a bases clearing triple and double respectively, while newcomer Lundyn Forcier (Woonsocket, R.I.) added a two-run triple to right center for the 14-0 margin.
The Falcons extended their lead to 16-0 in the following frame with senior Melissa DiPhilippo (Norfolk, Mass.) and classmate Nicole Sylvester (Everett, Mass.) adding RBI's before the Green and Gold capped the scoring in the top of the fifth as Forcier notched her third RBI of the contest, resulting in the 17-5 final.
In game two, Pikeville grabbed a 4-0 advantage, plating three runs in the top half of the first before adding a single run in the second. Fitchburg State threatened in the bottom of the fourth when junior Mckenzie Lambert (East Longmeadow, Mass.) doubled to open the frame, but the Falcons were unable to capitalize as the Bears worked out of the jam unscathed to keep the score at 4-0.
Pikeville upped its margin (8-0) in the top of the sixth, scoring another two runs before the Green and Gold would threaten again in the bottom half of the stanza as freshman Audrey Johnson (Fitchburg, Mass.) reached on a fielder's choice, while Pietersen singled down the left field line, but the Bears would get the final out of the contest one batter later, resulting in the 8-0 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Third meeting with the Falcons 2-1 vs the Giants
- Pietersen paced Fitchburg State in game one, going 2-for-4 with a double, triple, one run scored and five RBI
- Mikayla Harnois (Attleboro, Mass.) collected the win for the Falcons, allowing three earned runs on six hits and one strikeout in four innings of work
- First ever meeting with the Falcons 0-1 vs the Bears
- Lambert led the way for the Falcons with a double, while Pietersen and Samantha Woodman (Essex, Mass.) added one hit each
- Hayley O'Brien (Lynnfield, Mass.) took the loss for the Falcons, allowing four runs (2 earned) on one hit in two innings of work
Falcons will travel to Anna Maria College on Thursday to take on the Amcats for a non-conference twin bill, starting at 3:00 PM.