McWhinnie-Armstead places first overall in the high jump with DIII NE qualifying mark of 1.93m
Plymouth, N.H. – The Fitchburg State University men's indoor track & field team placed second overall at the 2018 Plymouth State University Winter Classic this afternoon with a total of 146.50 points at the All Well North Athletic Center.
Meet: PSU Winter Classic
Location: All Well North Athletic Center
Scoring: 2nd Place, 146.50 Points
How It Happened
Sophomore Christian McWhinnie-Armstead (Lowell, Mass.) led the way for the Falcons after placing first overall in high jump with a DIII New England qualifying mark of 1.93 meters, while senior Cameron Statlters (Norton, Mass.) finished second in the 60 meter hurdles with a DIII NE qualifying time of 8.80 seconds.
Sophomore Asante Monteiro (Fall River, Mass.) (7.25) and junior Zachary Joseph (Hyde Park, Mass.) (7.32) were also solid of Fitchburg State after finishing first and second in the 60 meter dash, while Monteiro, Joseph and freshman Nicholas Sachetta (Billerica, Mass.) added post-season qualifying times of 23.68, 24.39 and 24.41 in the 200 meter to place first, fourth and sixth respectively.
Sophomore Joe Weston (Middleton, Mass.) posted a MASCAC qualifying time of 2:55.29 to place fifth overall in the 1000 meter, while in the mile, sophomore Jacob Movsessian (New Ipswich, N.H.) (4:43.38) and senior Joseph Darrigo (Tewksbury, Mass.) (4:45.32) qualified for the post season after placing fourth and fifth.
In the 800, Sachetta (2:06.88) and senior Austin Landress (Winchendon, Mass.) (2:07.43) finished third and fourth, while Movsessian and J. Darrigo added a MASCAC qualifying times of 9:31.26 and 9:32.28 in the 3000 meter to finish second and third overall.
The 4x200 meter relay team of freshman Michael Masterson (Pepperell, Mass.), Landress, junior Daniel Nkansah (Worcester, Mass.) and Joseph posted a first place time of 1:35.96, while the 4x400 meter relay team of Masterson, Sachetta, Landress and Monteiro turned in a time of 3:46.91.
In the field, newcomer Brandon McNeil (Dartmouth, Mass.) posted a sixth place effort of 6.12 meters in the long jump, while Armstead (12.81m) and McNeil (12.33) placed first and third respectively in the triple jump to qualify for MASCAC's.
Senior Brendan Courtney (North Attleboro, Mass.) rounded out the top efforts for the Green and Gold on the day after placing sixth in the shot put (11.89m) and seventh in the weight throw (11.46m).
By The Numbers
- Cameron Stalters (Norton, Mass.) 2nd place in the 60m hurdles (8.80 seconds)
- Christian McWhinnie-Armstead (Lowell, Mass.) 1st place in the high jump (1.93m) and first place in the triple jump (12.81m)
- Nicholas Sachetta (Billerica, Mass.) 3rd place in the 800 (2:06.88)
- Brandon McNeil (Dartmouth, Mass.) 3rd place in the triple jump (12.33m)
- Austin Landress (Winchendon, Mass.) 2nd in the 500 1:08.11
- Asante Monteiro (Fall River, Mass.) 1st place in the 60m (7.25 seconds) and 1st place in the 200m (23.68)
- Jacob Movsessian (New Ipswich, N.H.) 2nd place in the 3000m (9:31.26)
- Joseph Darrigo (Tewksbury, Mass.) 3rd place in the 3000m (9:32.28)
- 4x200 Meter Relay 1st place (1:35.96)
- 4x400 Meter Relay 3rd place (3:46.91)
Falcons return to action after the semester break as they compete at the 2019 Dartmouth Relays on Saturday, January 5th for a meet starting at 10:00 AM.