Atemkeng nets first collegiate tally in non-conference triumph
Plymouth, N.H. – The Fitchburg State men's soccer held on for a 3-2 victory over the Panthers of Plymouth State in non-conference action this afternoon from Paul E. Arold Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 3, Plymouth State 2
Records: Fitchburg State (6-7-2) | Plymouth State (1-9-3)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened the scoring at the 11:54 mark as freshman Sebastian Pina (Somerville, Mass.) collected a feed from classmate Alexander Loyd (Kingston, Mass.) and deposited a shot into the back of the net for his third marker on the season for the 1-0 advantage.
Plymouth State knotted the score (1-1) in the 32nd minute when senior Mauricio Acevedo (Nashua, N.H.) headed a shot inside the near post for his first tally of the year off an assist from sophomore Teddy McLaughlin (Wakefield, R.I.).
The Falcons regained the lead with just over five minutes remaining in the half with freshman Joshua Atemkeng (Peabody, Mass.) lofting a shot from 20 yards out into the upper right corner for his first collegiate tally to make the score 2-1 going into the break.
Following the intermission, the Panthers retied the contest (2-2) at the 55:07 mark as sophomore Filip Johansson (Lulea, Sweden) gathered a pass from junior Cam Bunn (Mbourne, Australia) and connected on his first score of the 2019 campaign.
The Green and Gold answered back roughly five minutes later when Loyd tucked a shot inside the right of the net for his team-leading tenth goal of the year off an assist from sophomore Raphael Coelho (Westminster, Mass.) for the 3-2 final.
Inside the Numbers
- This afternoon's contest marked the fourth meeting the two squads with the Falcons 2-2 all-time when taking on the Panthers
- The shots were even at 10-10, while Plymouth State finished with a 9-2 margin in corner kicks
- Freshman Collin Robson (North Billerica, Mass.) stopped three shots for the Falcons in the victory
- Junior Owen Caggiano (Sandwich, Mass.) made four saves for the Panthers in the setback
- Robson earned his first collegiate victory for Fitchburg State in net
- Atemkeng netted his first collegiate tally for the Green and Gold
Falcons will host the Bears of Bridgewater State on Saturday for a MASCAC contest starting at 10:00 AM. Panthers will travel to Castleton on the same date for an LEC tilt at 1:00 PM.