Nugent and Ramos net first collegiate markers in non-conference
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University men's soccer team defeated the Corsairs of UMass Dartmouth, 2-1 in non-conference action this evening from Elliot Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 2, UMass Dartmouth 1
Records: Fitchburg State (3-3-1) | UMass Dartmouth (4-3)
How It Happened
UMass Dartmouth nearly grabbed the lead midway through the frame as freshman Evan Pacheco (Seekonk, Mass.) fired a shot on target, but Falcon keeper Sebastian Jaramillo (Dracut, Mass.) turned the shot aside, while Fitchburg State's best scoring chance occurred in the minutes last when seniors Marckdonard Bastien (Worcester, Mass.) and Stephen Nagle (Lancaster, Mass.) registered shots that went just high to keep the score deadlocked at 0-0 going into the break.
Following the intermission, the Corsairs broke the 0-0 stalemate at the 49:40 mark when junior Yorik Salbin (Fall River, Mass.) tucked the ball inside the near post for his third marker on the season for the 1-0 edge. The Green and Gold responded at the 69:38 mark with junior Sean Nugent (Dracut, Mass.) settling a feed from sophomore Raphael Coelho (Framingham, Mass.), who netted his first goal in a Falcon uniform.
Fitchburg State took the lead eight minutes later as freshman Sebastian Pina (Somerville, Mass.) found junior Gabriel Ramos (Chicopee, Mass.) on the near side of the post and deposited a shot into the back of the net for his first tally for the Green and Gold, resulting in the 2-1 final.
Inside the Numbers
- This evening's contest will mark the eighth meeting between the two squads on the pitch with the Falcons 2-6 all-time vs the Corsairs
- UMass Darmouth held a 16-9 margin in shots, while also finishing with an 8-1 edge in corner kicks
- Jaramillo finished with eight saves for the Falcons in the victory
- Senior Danny Andrade (New Bedford, Mass.) stopped three shots for the Corsairs in the setback
- Nugent and Ramos netted their first goals in a Green and Gold uniform
Falcons will travel to MCLA to take on the Trailblazers on Friday for a MASCAC matchup, starting at 6:00 PM. Corsairs will host the Panthers of Plymouth State on Saturday for a conference tilt at 6:00 PM.