Worcester, Mass. – The Fitchburg State ice hockey team dropped a 5-1 decision to the Lancers of Worcester State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this evening from the Worcester Ice Arena..
Score: Fitchburg State 1, Worcester State 5
Records: Fitchburg State (12-11-2, 9-7-2 MASCAC) | Worcester State (13-9-2, 8-7-2 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Worcester State grabbed a 1-0 advantage 3:51 into the first period as sophomore forward Kyle Hayter (Helena, Mont.) connected on his second tally of the season for the 1-0 lead. Fitchburg State knotted the score (1-1) with seven minutes left in the first period when senior Ricky Kramer (Barnstead, N.H.) connected on this 11th marker on the year off assists from senior Nick DiNicola (Wolcott, Conn.) and junior Christopher Vicario (Cranston, R.I.).
In the second frame, the Lancers regained the lead (2-1) at the 8:57 mark as freshman Evan Schieber (Macon, Ga.) netted his second score of the 2018-19 campaign before Worcester State upped its margin minutes later when sophomore Tim Drevitch (Oxford, N.J.) notched is seven goal on the year for the 3-1 edge.
The Lancers secured the victory with just under six minutes remaining in the third frame when junior Nick Patullo (Doylestown, Penn.) buried a shot into the back of net for his fourth tally of the season, resulting in the 5-1 final.
By the Numbers
- Sophomore Sascha Figi (Kloten, Switzerland) finished with a team best five shots for the Falcons
- 64th meeting between two schools with Falcons 42-18-4 all-time vs the Lancers
- Worcester State held a 28-24 margin in shots
- Fitchburg State went 1-for-5 with the man advantage
- Sophomore Brian McGrath (Worcester, Mass.) stopped 20 shots for the Falcons
- Freshman Ryan Hoff (Brockton, Mass.) made 23 saves for the Lancers
Falcons await its seeding into the upcoming 2019 MASCAC Ice Hockey Post-Season tournament, which starts on Saturday. Lancers will travel to Framingham State tomorrow to take on the Rams for a conference tilt at 7:00 PM.