Franklin, Mass. – The Fitchburg State Men's Basketball team held on for a 81-80 victory over the Bulldogs of Dean College this evening in non-conference action from the Pieri Gymnasium.
Score: Fitchburg State 81, Dean 80
Records: Fitchburg State (3-0) I Dean (2-2)
How It Happened
Dean grabbed an early 7-0 advantage as junior Traijan Powell (Sierra Vista, Ariz.) drained a three pointer before Fitchburg State cut the lead to 9-6 on a tip in from sophomore Dominik Williams (Newark, N.J.). The Bulldogs upped their margin (15-12) with Jordan Booker (Waterbury, Conn.) sinking a pair of free-throw midway through the first half.
The Falcons took their first lead of the contest (19-18) when senior Jordan Jones (Worcester, Mass.) connected on a layup. Fitchburg State upped its edge to 25-18 as freshman Xavier Betancourt (Tampa, Fla.) buried a three ball, but the Bulldogs cut the deficit 41-36 going into the break as Booker drilled a three pointer with seven seconds remaining in the frame.
Following the intermission, Dean regained the lead (42-41) on another three ball by Booker before Fitchburg State took the lead back on as senior Devan Harris (Danvers, Mass.) hit a layup. The Bulldogs responded with Booker three pointer for the 45-42 edge.
The two teams traded leads over the next several minutes, which featured 15 lead changes. The Falcons would regain the lead with 4:04 left in regulation when senior Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind.) drove in for a layup for the 72-70 advantage.
Fitchburg State upped its (77-71) on a pair of free-throws by sophomore Devon Johnson (Washington, D.C.), but Dean chipped away at the deficit, cut the lead to 81-80 as Kevin Clark (Miami Gardens, Fla.) made a layup, but the Green and Gold would hold on for the 81-80 victory, corralling a defensive rebound off a last second Dean College attempt as time expired.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Williams with a team-leading 16 points, eight boards and one assist
- Tracy chipped in with 14 points, eight caroms, one assist and two steals for Fitchburg State
- Booker finished with a game-best 29 points, six rebounds, seven assists and one steal for the Bulldogs
- D'caran Anderson (Compton, Calif.) added 14 points, five boards and one steal for Dean
- First ever meeting between the two team on the basketball court
- Fitchburg State shot 33-for-73 (45.2%) from the field and (3-of-16) 18.8% from three point range
- Dean finished 30-of-72 (41.7%) overall and (9-for-26) 34.6% for beyond the arc
- Bulldogs held a 49-44 margin on the glass
Falcons return to action on Tuesday as they host the Anchormen of Rhode Island College for a non-conference tilt, starting at 6:00 PM. Bulldogs will travel to Worcester State on Wednesday for a non-conference matchup at 6:00 PM.