Salem, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University men's basketball team fell to the Vikings of Salem State 81-71 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action on Wednesday evening.
Score: Fitchburg State University 71, Salem State University 81
Records: Fitchburg State (8-12, 4-4 MASCAC) | Salem State (13-8, 7-1 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Knotted at 14-14, the Vikings took a four point lead (18-14) on consecutive baskets from senior Bryan Martinez (Salem, Mass.). Next a three-point play from Falcons' junior Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind.) cut the deficit to 18-17.
Fitchburg State kept the game close (31-30) after junior Devan Harris (Danvers, Mass.) drained a trey from the baseline. The hosts answered with a 9-3 run capped by three points from junior Hakeem Animashaun (Dedham, Mass) to hold a 39-33 lead at intermission.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State cut into the deficit (47-44) as Tracy knocked down a jumper, but Salem State answered back with six straight points for the 53-44 edge.
Trailing 63-52, the Falcons exploded on a 10-0 run, collecting four points each from Tracy and freshman Tayjaun McKenzie (Lynn, Mass.) to make it a one point ballgame (63-62) with 6:30 to play.
Salem sealed the victory with a basket from Animashaun and four points from the charity stripe for the 81-71 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Fitchburg State was led by Tracy with a team-best 20 points and eight rebounds, while Tyrell St. John (Stamford, Conn.) added 16 points and 6 boards for the Green and Gold. McKenzie added 11 points off the bench.
- For Salem State, Animashaun posted a game-high 27 points and nine caroms, while Sean Bryan (Lowell, Mass.) added 26 points and seven rebounds.
- Fitchburg State shot 30-for-72 (41.7%) from the field and (2-of-17) 11.8 from beyond the arc.
- The Vikings went 26-of-59 (44.1%) overall and (2-of-11) 18.2% from three point range.
- Salem held the rebounding advantage 47-35
Falcons will host Pine Manor College in non-conference action on Saturday afternoon at noon. The Vikings travel to the Rams of Framingham State University in MASCAC action on the same day with a 1:00 pm tipoff.