Fitchburg, Mass.– The Fitchburg State University football team fell to the Bears of Bridgewater State, 50-6 in MASCAC (Massachusetts State College Athletic Conference) action at Elliot Field this afternoon.
Score: Fitchburg State 6, Bridgewater State 50
Records: Fitchburg State (1-3, 0-2 MASCAC) | Bridgewater State (1-3, 1-1 MASCAC)
How It Happened
The Bears took a 14-0 lead after one frame, scoring on their first two possessions. Running back Nick Santavicca (Yorktown Heights, NY) capped a 92-yard, 11 play opening drive with a 6-yard touchdown run to give the Bears the early lead.
After holding the Falcons to just three plays the visitors doubled the lead. Quarterback Stefano D'Emilia (Bridgewater, Mass.) had a pair of big throws first finding wide receiver William Watts (Pembroke, Mass.) for 13 yards and two plays later connected with sophomore Colin O'Brien (Middleboro, Mass.) for 16-yards on 3rd-and long. Watts finished off the drive with a 4-yard left end run to the endzone.
Bridgewater state poured it on in the second quarter. Santavicca rushed for 2-yard touchdown after the defense had forced a fumble on the home 18 yard line. Then the senior signal caller found sophomore Maurice Ashley (Brockton, Mass.) for a pair of touchdown (61-yards, 20-yards) to carry a 35-0 lead into the intermission.
Sophomore Jeremy Soule Jr (Middleboro, Mass.) pushed the lead to 41-0 with a 16-yard run with seventeen seconds left in the period.
The Falcons thwarted the shutout with a touchdown with 5:20 to play. Senior quarterback Connor Fitzsimons (Flushing, NY) found senior wide receiver Joshua Nelson (Providence, RI) on the slant for a 9 yard touchdown. However Bridgewater returned the muffed point after attempt for the 50-6 final.
Inside the Numbers
- D'Emilia threw for 160 yard on 8-for-11 passing with two touchdowns, while Fitzsimons was 16-for-33 for 150 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.
- For the Bears Santavicca had a game high 114 yards rushing on 22 attempts and 2 TD's and Ashley had 107 receiving yards, three touchdowns on 4 grabs.
- The Falcons were led by Melchior Lynch (Roxbury, Mass.) who had 37 yards on 8 attempts. Nelson had 4 catches for 52 yards.
- Junior Joel Monteiro (Brockton, Mass.) had a solid day on defense for the home team, the junior finished with 9 tackles and one sack.
- Sophomore Steve Silva (Dighton, Mass.) paced the Bears with six total tackles
Falcons will travel to Plymouth State for a MASCAC clash with the Panthers next Saturday starting at 1:00 PM. Bridgewater will host Westfield on the same day for a conference tilt at noon.