Brown with 4-yard game winning touchdown with 5 seconds remaining
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State football team had a 12-10 come-from-behind victory over the Spartans of Castleton University this afternoon in non-conference action at Elliot Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 12, Castleton 10
Records: Fitchburg State (1-1) | Castleton (1-1)
How It Happened
The Falcons tallied their first points of the season with an opening 11 play, 65-yard scoring drive for an early 6-0 lead. Senior quarterback Connor Fitzsimons (Flushing, NY) found freshman Miguel Perez (Natick, Mass.) for a nine yard gain to start the drive from the host's 35-yard line. Running back Fernando Santiago (Merrimack, NH) had 14 yards rushing and senior wide receiver Jesse Brown (Yonkers, NY) had a deep ball good for 30-yards in the drive. On 2nd and goal from the nine yard line Fitzsimons found wide receiver Drew Ridenour (Mashpee, Mass.) over the middle for the touchdown.
The Falcons held Castleton scoreless for the first half, limiting the visitors to just 33 yards of offense. However the Spartans answered back to open the second half scoring points on their first two possessions. Sophomore running back Simon Davis (Warwick, RI) capped a 10-play drive with an 11-yard scamper to the end zone, while classmate Andy Kenosh (Rutland, Vt.) added the extra point for the 7-6 lead.
Kenosh added a 31-yard field goal to increase the Spartan lead to 10-6 midway through the third quarter.
With 2:45 remaining in the game the Falcons started the game winning drive at their own 21-yard line. After a crucial pass interference call on the visitors Fitzsimons hit Brown for an 11 yard gain to the Fitchburg 44 yard line. Four plays later on 4th and 16 Fitzsimons found Perez on crossing route to the Castleton 40 yard line. The duo connected again for another 22 yards two plays later setting up 1st and goal with 15 ticks on the clock. Brown sealed the victory with a 4-yard reception in the end zone.
Inside the Numbers
- Fitchburg State University held the advantage in first downs (15-13), total yards (277-257), and time of possession (31:40-28:20).
- Fitzsimons was 23-for-37 for 222 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. His counterpart Jacob McCarthy (West Yarmouth, Mass.) threw for 177 yards (14-for-29) with one interception.
- Brown finished with 64 yards on 7 catches and a touchdown, while Joshua Nelson (Providence, RI) had 77 yards on 9 catches.
- The Spartans were led offensively from receiver Anthony Martinez (Brattleboro, VT) who had a game-high 114 yards on 5 receptions.
- Defensively for the Green and Gold both junior Richard Austin (Wareham, Mass.) and freshman Evan Drake (Winchendon, Mass.) had 8 total tackles apiece while senior Malik Crawford (Yonkers, NY) had one interception and four tackles.
- This afternoon's contest marks fourth meeting between the two squads on the gridiron with the Falcons 3-1 all-time when taking on the Spartans
- Fitchburg State had won two of the previous three matchups with Castleton as the Spartans secured a 34-13 triumph in the last meeting on Sept. 8, 2019 at Elliot Field.
Falcons will travel to Corsairs of UMass Dartmouth to begin MASCAC conference play next Saturday. Kick-off will be at 4:30PM.