Worcester, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University baseball team dropped an 8-3 decision to the Cougars of Clark University in non-conference action this afternoon from Granger Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 3, Clark 8
Records: Fitchburg State (20-11) l Clark (14-19)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State took a 1-0 lead in the top of the second as junior Joshua Macomber (Berkley, Mass.) singled right field, moved to second on a wild pitch and eventually crossed the plate on an RBI ground out from classmate Brandon Lefebvre (Leominster, Mass.).
The Falcons doubled their margin (2-0) in the following frame when sophomore Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) scored following a double play before Clark knotted the score at 2-2 in the bottom of the fourth with sophomore Chris Radovic (Fairfield, Conn.) homering, while sophomore James Huber (Rochester, N.Y.) crossed the plate on a balk.
The Cougars grabbed the lead in the bottom of the seventh as senior Zach Kelley (Hadley, Mass.) laced a two-run single to left before sophomore Steven Mooney (Buffalo, N.Y.) added an RBI base knock for the 8-2 margin.
The Green and Gold got one run back in the top of the ninth with Macomber connecting on his second home run on the season, resulting in the 8-3 final.
By The Numbers
- 23rd meeting between the two teams with the Falcons 14-9 vs the Cougars
- Macomber led the way for the Falcons, going 2-for-4 with homerun, two runs scored and one RBI
- Cordeau added one hit, one run scored and a stolen base for the Green and Gold
- Adam Somers (Framingham, Mass.) took a no decision for Fitchburg State, allowing two runs on five hits with ten K's in six innings of work
- Huber finished 3-for-3 with one run scored and an RBI for the Cougars
- Jafar Vohra (Shelton, Conn.) earned the win for Clark, giving up two runs (1 earned) on three hits with nine strikeouts over seven innings pitched
Falcons will host the Rams of Framingham State University on Thursday for a MASCAC double header, starting at 2:00 PM. Cougars will host the Anchormen of Rhode Island College on the same day for a non-conference matchup at 3:30 PM.