Parsons ties Fitchburg State single game strikeout record of 13 in game two
Buzzards Bay, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University baseball team swept a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) double-header, 3-2/1-0 from the Buccaneers of Mass. Maritime Academy this afternoon from Hendy Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 3, Mass. Maritime 2 (Game One)
Score: Fitchburg State 1, Mass. Maritime 0 (Eight Inn) (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (12-5, 3-0 MASCAC) I MMA (3-12, 0-3 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State grabbed a 1-0 lead in the top of the fourth as junior Matthew Pingitore (Rutland, Mass.) singled in junior Joshua Macomber (Berkley, Mass.) before the Falcons upped their margin (3-0) in following frame when freshman Vincent Eramo (Shirley, Mass.) and Macomber added RBI's on a single to right center and a fielder's choice.
Mass. Maritime cut the deficit to 3-2 in their half of the fifth with junior Matt Langan (North Easton, Mass.) and freshman Joe Sanchez (Dracut, Mass.) connecting on RBI base knocks, but Falcon closer Shaun Gamelin (West Kingstown, R.I.) was able to close the door in the seventh, en-eoute to his fourth save on the season, resulting in the 3-2, game one final.
Fitchburg State completed the sweep as game two featured a pitching duel between senior Tommy Parsons (Peabody, Mass.) of Fitchburg State and sophomore John Teehan (Boston, Mass.) of Mass. Maritime Academy.
With the score knotted at 0-0 going into the eighth, the Falcons final broke the stalemate in the top half of the eighth as sophomore Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) launched his team-leading fifth home run of the season over the right field fence.
That's all the run support the Green and Gold would need as Gamelin came on in the eighth and proceeded to shut the door, pitching a flawless bottom of the eight to pick up his fifth save on the year, resulting in the 1-0, game two final.
Inside the Numbers
- 75th meeting between the two teams in baseball with the Falcons 32-43 vs the Buccaneers
- Eramo led the Falcons game one offense, going 2-for-4 with an RBI
- Jackson Simone (Seattle, Wash.) hit 2-for-2 with a double for the Buccaneeers
- Aidan Ward (Dunstable, Mass.) earned the win for Fitchburg State, allowing two runs on five hits with five K's over five innings pitched
- Mason Ashburn (East Freetown, Mass.) took the loss, yielding three runs on three hits with seven strikeouts in five innings of work
- Cordeau paced Fitchburg State in game two with a home run, one run scored and one RBI
- Simone registered the lone hit for Mass. Maritime in the night cap
- Parsons collected the win for the Falcons, going seven inning, giving up one hit with a single game tying Fitchburg State record 13 K's
- Teehan suffered the setback for the Buccaneers, allowing one run on four hits with nine strikeouts in the complete game effort
Falcons will travel to Worcester State on Wednesday for a MASCAC tilt, starting at 3:00 PM. Buccaneers will visit Bridgewater State on the same date for a conference matchup at 3:30 PM.