Cordeau blasts teams leading fourth home run of the season
Northboro, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University baseball team defeated the Buccaneers of Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 9-7 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon at the New England Baseball Complex.
Score: Fitchburg State 9, Mass. Maritime 7
Records: Fitchburg State (10-5, 1-0 MASCAC) I MMA (3-10, 0-1 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Mass. Maritime took a 3-0 advantage in the top of the fourth as freshman A.J. Luciano (Lynn, Mass.) singled home junior Jackson Simone (Seattle, Wash.), while sophomore Ben Paine (Dartmouth, Mass.) added a two-run single to left field.
Fitchburg State responded in the bottom of the fourth when junior Matthew Pingitore (Rutland, Mass.) singled to right field to plate classmate Joshua Macomber (Berkley, Mass.) to the cut the deficit to 3-1 before newcomer Brendan Ferrell (Plymouth, Mass.) notched an RBI groundout in the bottom half of the fifth to make the score 3-2.
Following a solo home run from Jackson (4-2), the Buccaneers would extend their lead to 6-2 in the seventh as senior Marley Dembitski (North Dartmouth, Mass.) and Paine added run scoring base knocks.
The Falcons knotted the score (6-6) in the bottom of the seventh as sophomore Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) launched a two-run home run to left center and freshman Vincent Eramo (Shirley, Mass.) laced a double to center field that plated senior Noah Milliard (Leominster, Mass.) and Ferrell.
The Green and Gold grabbed the lead for good in the eighth when junior Timothy Horton (Easthampton, Mass.) ripped a double to right center that scored Pingitore and Ferrell delivered a clutch two-run single down the right field line as Cordeau and Horton crossed the plate, resulting in the 9-7 final.
Inside the Numbers
- 73rd meeting between the two teams in baseball with the Falcons 30-43 vs the Buccaneers
- Cordeau paced the Falcons offense, going 4-for-4 with a double, home run, three runs scored and two RBI
- Dembitski finished 3-for-4 with a double, home run, three runs scored and two RBI for the Buccaneers
- Evan Meleedy (Lakeville, Mass.) earned the win for Fitchburg State, giving up just one hit with one K in one inning of work
- Wyatt Major (Plymouth, Mass.) took the loss for Mass. Maritime, allowing two runs on one hit and one strikeout in 0.2 innings pitched
Falcons will travel to Mass. Maritime Academy on Saturday for a MASCAC twin-billing, starting at 12:00 PM. Buccaneers will host the Falcons on Saturday in a conference double-headers at 12:00 PM.