Amico picks up second save of the season in non-conference victory
Waltham, Mass. – The Fitchburg State baseball team defeated the Lasers of Lasell College, 6-2 this afternoon in non-conference action from the Stein Diamond, on the campus of Brandeis University.
Score: Fitchburg State 6, Lasell 2
Records: Fitchburg State (9-5) I Lasell (8-6)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State grabbed a 2-0 lead in the top of the first as senior Noah Milliard (Leominster, Mass.) brought in sophomore Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) with an RBI groundout, while newcomer Vincent Eramo (Shirley, Mass.) added a RBI groundout as well that scored classmate Brendan Ferrell (Plymouth, Mass.).
The Falcons upped its margin in the top half of the third when junior Joshua Macomber (Berkley, Mass.) plated Cordeau with a sacrifice fly to right for the 3-0 edge before Lasell cut the deficit to 3-1 in the bottom of the fourth with senior Chris Maringo (Farmingville, N.Y.) walked and eventually came around to score on a wild pitch.
The Lasers answered again in the bottom of the seventh as sophomore Wyatt Sihovonen (Lebanon, Conn.) doubled in freshman Drew Szafranski (Cumberland, R.I.) to make the score 3-2, but the Green and Gold would secure the victory in the top of the ninth when sophomore Johan Asencio (Clinton, Mass.) scored on a failed pickoff attempt before Eramo laced a two-run double to left center to bring in Milliard and Ferrell, resulting in the 6-2 final.
Inside the Numbers
- First ever meeting between the two teams in baseball with the Falcons 1-0 vs the Lasers
- Eramo led the way for Fitchburg State, going 1-for-3 with double and three RBI
- Sihovonen finished 1-for-3 with one RBI and a double for Lasell
- Adam Somers (Framingham, Mass.) picked up the win for the Falcons, allowing one run with five K's in five innings of work
- Lorenzo Davis (West Haven, Conn.) took the loss for the Lasers, giving up three runs on six hits with three strikeouts in five innings pitched
Falcons will host the Buccaneers of Mass. Maritime Academy on Friday for a MASCAC matchup from the New England Baseball Complex, starting at 3:30 PM. Lasers will travel to Curry tomorrow to take on the Colonels for a non-conference tilt at 3:30 PM.