Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's basketball team held on for 65-62 triumph over the Gators of Pine Manor College in non-conference action this afternoon from the Parkinson Gymnasium.
Score: Fitchburg State 65, Pine Manor 62
Records: Fitchburg State (9-11) | Pine Manor (1-16)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State took an 8-5 advantage on a three-pointer from junior Emma Thomson (York, Maine) before Pine Manor cut the lead to 8-7 on a jumper by senior Aleah Lauti (Milbrae, Calif.). The Falcons would extend their margin to 20-12 on a jumper from sophomore Payton Holmes (Carver, Mass.).
The Gators cut the deficit to 20-16 on a bucket by Lauti, but Fitchburg State countered with a bucket by junior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) (22-16). The Green and Gold built its lead to 39-25 going into the break on an and one from senior Hannah Keohan (Lunenburg, Mass.).
Following the intermission, Pine Manor chipped away at the lead as freshman Kiana Wilkerson (Everett, Mass.) connected on a bucket before senior Kerry Brodbeck (Boston, Mass.) sank a pair from the charity stripe to give the hosts a 44-28 margin. Fitchburg State upped its advantage on another three ball by Thomson and a layup from sophomore Mishelle Logie (Attleboro, Mass.) to make the score 56-36.
The Gators continued to battle, going on a 9-0 run, capped by a Arielle Harerell (Stockton, Calif.) (59-49) bucket before the Falcons answered back on a trey from Marazzi for the 62-52 lead. Fitchburg State sealed the victory as Thomson connected one of two free throws, resulting in the 65-62 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Marazzi with a game-best 25 points and four asssits
- Thomson chipped in with 19 points and eight boards for Fitchburg State
- Lauti paced the Gators with a double-double of 19 points and 12 rebounds
- Junior Kristen Harris (Boston, Mass.) added 12 points and nine caroms for Pine Manor
- Tenth meeting between two schools with Falcons 4-6 all-time vs the Gators
- Fitchburg State shot 24-for-73 (32.9%) from the field and (1-for-37) 29.7% from three point range
- Pine Manor finished 23-of-63 (32.9%) overall and (0-for-6) 0.0% for beyond the arc
- Falcons held a 51-46 margin on the glass
- Gators had an 18-14 advantage in second chance points
Falcons will host the Trailblazers on Wednesday for a MASCAC matchup, starting at 7:30 PM. Gators will travel to Rhode Island College on Monday for a non-conference tilt at 7:00 PM.