Salem, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's basketball team was defeated by the Vikings of Salem State University, 76-60 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this evening at the Twohig Gymnasium.
Score: Fitchburg State 60, Salem State 76
Records: Fitchburg State (8-11, 2-6 MASCAC) | Salem State (4-16, 2-6 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Salem State opened the contest with a three pointer by junior Courtney Paschal (Waltham, Mass.) before Fitchburg State countered with six straight pointer from junior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) for the 6-3 edge. The Falcons upped its margin (17-10) on a on a jumper by junior Catherine Coppinger (Boston, Mass.), but the Vikings cut the lead to 17-14 on a pair of free-throws by sophomore Katie Wallace (Peabody, Mass.).
Fitchburg State extended its advantage (21-14) on back-to-back buckets from Marazzi, but Salem State would chip away at the deficit to take a 28-18 lead, going a 6-2 run as Pashcal connected on a free throw to close out the run. The Vikings took a 35-32 edge into the break with senior Tyra Scott (Methuen, Mass.) sinking one of two shots from the charity stripe.
Following the intermission, the Vikings upped its (39-32) on a Scott basket before the Green and Gold answered with two free throw from Marazzii. Salem State responded with a Kate McDonnell (Swansea, Mass.) jumper to make the score 58-36.
The Falcons continued to battle as Marazzi connected on four straight points, while senior Kerry Brodbeck (Boston, Mass.) added a jumper, but the Vikings secured the victory on a Natalie Mellinger (Beverly, Mass.) jumper, resulting in the 76-60 final
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Marazzi with a game-best 30 points and two rebounds
- Coppinger added a double-double of 11 points and 11 caroms for Fitchburg State
- Scott paced the Vikings with a team-leading 20 points and four boards
- Senior Kia Fernandes (Wareham, Mass.) chipped in with a double-double of 17 points and 12 rebounds for Salem State
- 76th meeting between two schools with Falcons 13-63 all-time vs the Vikings
- Fitchburg State shot 25-for-65 (36.8%) from the field and (5-for-12) 41.7% from three point range
- Salem State finished 22-of-56 (39.3%) overall and (4-for-17) 23.5% for beyond the arc
- Vikings held a 43-35 margin on the glass
- Falcons had a 13-6 advantage in bench points
Falcons will host the Gators of Pine Manor on Saturday for a non-conference tilt, starting at 2:00 PM. Vikings will travel to Framingham State on the same date for a MASCAC bout at 3:00 PM.