Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's basketball team suffered a tough 71-65 setback to the Bears of Bridgewater State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this evening from the Parkinson Gymnasium.
Score: Fitchburg State 65, Bridgewater State 71
Records: Fitchburg State (8-9, 2-4 MASCAC) | Bridgewater State (8-11, 3-3 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened a 7-0 lead to start the quarter as junior Emma Thomson (York, Maine) drained a three ball before Bridgewater State grabbed the lead (9-7) when senior Sarah DaSilva (Chelmsford, Mass.) connected on a three pointer. The Falcons regained the advantage (15-11) on treys from junior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) and sophomore Payton Holmes (Carver, Mass.)..
Trailing 21-17, Fitchburg State cut into the deficit as Marazzi buried another three-pointer, but the Bears upped their lead (27-20) on a jumper by senior Kailyn Aguiar (Acushnet, Mass.). The Green and Gold chipped away at the lead, going on a 7-0 run, capped by a Catherine Coppinger (Boston, Mass.) layup to make the score 35-31.
Following the break, Fitchburg State continued to battle, cutting the lead to 41-38 after sophomore Mishelle Logie (Attleboro, Mass.) knocked down a three-ball before Bridgewater State extended their margin (52-40) on a DaSilva layup. The Falcons would responded as Holmes and junior Emily Beauvais (Haverhill, Mass.) hit buckets to make the score 58-55 going into the final stanza.
Bridgewater State built its lead to 62-55 on a pair of free throws from sophomore Destine Fitzgerald (Medford, Mass.), but Fitchburg State answered back as Logie and Holmes posted layups (62-61).The Bears secured the victory though when freshman Olivia Dziadyk (Wakefield, Mass.) put home a jumper with just over a minute remaining, resulting in the 71-65 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were paced by Coppinger with a double-double of 18 points and 14 rebounds
- Marazzi chipped in 15 points and five assists for Fitchburg State
- Senior Olivia DelGrosso (Ledyard, Conn.) finished with a game-best 21 points for the Bears
- Aguiar added to the mix with a double-double of 18 points and 12 caroms for Bridgewater State
- 56th meeting between two schools with Falcons 15-51 all-time vs the Bears
- Fitchburg State shot 25-for-65 (41.0%) from the field and (8-for-21) 38.1% from three point range
- Bridgewater State finished 30-of-61 (49.2%) overall and (2-for-15) 13.3% for beyond the arc
- Bears held a 37-32 margin on the glass
- Falcons had a 20-10 advantage in bench points
Falcons will host the Rams of Framingham State University on Saturday for a MASCAC tilt, starting at 2:00 PM. Bears will host the Trailblazers of MCLA on Wednesday for a conference matchup at 7:30 PM.