Falcons Fall to Worcester State
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's basketball team dropped an 80-48 decision to the Lancers of Worcester State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon from the Parkinson Gymnasium.
Score: Fitchburg State 48, Worcester State 80
Records: Fitchburg State (8-7, 2-2 MASCAC) | Worcester State (12-5, 3-1 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Worcester State built a 7-0 lead to open the game capped by a jumper sophomore Colleen Cutting (Auburn, Mass.). Fitchburg added a hoop from sophomore Payton Holmes (Carver, Mass.) to bring the score to 17-4. The Lancers finished the frame with an 8-0 run including four points from freshman Sarah Blomgren (Lunenburg, Mass.) to hold a 25-4 advantage after one period.
In the second frame, Worcester upped it margin (37-8) on a trey from sophomore Sam Maglione (Lancaster, Mass.) before the Falcons closed the first half scoring with a jumper from sophomore Chloe Roberts (Hanson, Mass.) and a deep three-pointer from junior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) to make the score 41-23 going into the break.
Following the intermission, Worcester upped the lead (57-26) with five straight points from senior Kate Surprenant (Pelham, NH). Fitchburg ended the third frame with a 4-0 run as the visitors held the 68-31 lead.
In the fourth quarter, the Falcons outscored Worcester 17-12 en route to the 80-48 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Fitchburg State shot 16-for-49 (32.7%) from the field and 23.5% (4-for-17) from three point range.
- Worcester State went 32-of-62 (51.6%) overall, including (3-for-10) 30% from beyond the arc.
- The Falcons were led by Marazzi with a team-leading 13 points and two rebounds, while sophomore Chloe Roberts added ten points and four caroms.
- For the Lancers Sweeney finished with a game-best 14 points and ten boards, while Surprenant chipped in with 13 points and two rebound.
- Worcester State controlled the glass with a 45-35 margin on the boards.
Falcons will travel to Westfield State to take on the Owls on Tuesday evening for a MASCAC bout, starting at 7:00 PM. The Lancers head to Bridgewater State on the same day in MASCAC action with a 7:00 PM tipoff.