Plymouth, N.H. – The Fitchburg State University ice hockey team defeated the Panthers of Plymouth State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this evening.
Score: Fitchburg State 2, Plymouth State 1
Records: Fitchburg State (7-5-2, 4-2-2 MASCAC) | Plymouth State (8-4-2, 5-2-1 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened the scoring at the 3:58 mark of the first period as senior forward Nick DiNicola (Wolcott, Conn.) gathered a feed from junior Christopher Vicario (Cranston, R.I.) and struck for his sixth tally of the season for the 1-0 margin.
In the middle stanza, Plymouth State knotted the score (1-1) six minutes into the frame when senior forward Ryan Stevens (Colleyville, Tex.) connected on his sixth marker on the year off assists from classmate Michael Covach (Shillington, Penn.) and sophomore Cole Crawford (Alpharetta, Ga.).
The Green and Gold broke the 1-1 stalemate midway through the third period of play as senior Ricky Kramer (Barnstead, N.H.) received a pass from sophomore Sascha Figi (Kloten, Switzerland) and DiNicola and proceeded to bury a shot into the far post for his sixth goal of the 2018-19 campaign, resulting in the 2-1 final.
By the Numbers
- Kramer and DiNicola netted one goal each for Fitchburg State
- 61st meeting between two schools with Falcons 27-27-7 all-time vs the Panthers
- Plymouth State held a 44-20 margin in shots
- Fitchburg State finished 1-for-7 with the man advantage
- Sophomore Brian McGrath (Worcester, Mass.) stopped 43 shots for the Falcons
- Senior Evan Morelli (Reading, Mass.) made 18 saves for the Panthers
Falcons will host the Leopards of Wentworth Institute on Saturday for a non-conference tilt, starting at 4:00 PM. Panthers will travel to UMass Dartmouth on the same date for a MASCAC clash at 4:00 PM.