Perry nets first collegiate hat trick in non-conference victory
Worcester, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University ice hockey team defeated the Ravens of Franklin Pierce University this evening in the championship game of the 2018 Steve Hoar Memorial Tournament at the Worcester Ice Arena.
Score: Fitchburg State 9, Franklin Peirce 1
Records: Fitchburg State (4-3-2) | Franklin Pierce (5-4)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened the scoring just 1:24 into the first period as sophomore Sascha Figi (Kloten, Switzerland) buried a shot into the back of the net for his team-leading seventh score of the season for the 1-0 lead.
The Falcons doubled their margin (2-0) with just under five minutes remaining in the opening frame when senior Brandon Ecklund (Fitchburg, Mass.) collected a feed from freshman Ryan Murphy (Wayzata Minn.) and senior Patrick Germain (Auburn, Mass.) and found the back of the net for his first tally on the year.
In the middle stanza, the Green and Gold upped its margin 4:33 into the period as junior Christopher Vicario (Cranston, R.I.) connected on his second goal of the 2018-19 campaign for the 3-1 lead before senior Michael Fretz (Seattle, Wash.) extend the lead (5-1) for Fitchburg State with his second score on the year.
Following goals by Fretz and senior Nick DiNicola (Wolcott, Conn.), the Falcons capped the scoring in the third period as sophomore Kevin Perry (Hull, Mass.) struck for back-to-back tallies to complete the hat trick, resulting in the 9-1 final.
By the Numbers
- Perry nets first collegiate hat trick for Falcons
- Sophomore netminder Brian McGrath (Worcester, Mass.) earned 2018 Steve Hoar Memorial MVP honors
- 16th meeting between two schools with Falcons 15-1-0 all-time vs the Ravens
- Fitchburg State held a 41-26 margin in shots
- Franklin Pierce finished 0-for-5 with the man advantage
- McGrath made 25 saves for the Falcons
- Sophomore Ian Wallace (West Islip, N.Y.) stopped 22 shots for the Ravens
Falcons will host the Owls of Westfield State University on Thursday for a MASCAC matchup starting at 7:00 PM. Ravens will travel to Southern New Hampshire University on Saturday for an NE-10 clash at 6:40 PM.