Westfield, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University men's basketball team suffered a tough 78-72 setback to the Owls of Westfield State University this evening in semifinal round action of the 2019 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Men's Basketball Post-Season Tournament at the Woodward Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 72, Westfield State 78
Records: Fitchburg State (13-14) | Westfield State (16-10)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State grabbed an early 6-2 lead on a pair of buckets from junior Devan Harris (Danvers, Mass.) before Westfield State answered back as junior Jauch Green, Jr (Hartford, Conn.) connected on a layup for the 7-6 edge. The Falcons took the back as senior Anselm Edegbe (Benin, Nigeria) connected on a tip in (8-7).
The Green and Gold pushed their margin to 22-17 with Edegbe hitting another tip in, but the Owls responded as Malik Pouncy (Mattapan, Mass.) sank a jumper (24-21). Westfield State chipped away at the deficit before taking a 40-36 edge into the break on a Green, Jr layup.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State knotted the score (42-42) on back-to-back treys from Harris and junior Andre Ruff (Chicago, Ill.) before Westfield State took a 52-26 lead on a Christopher Prophet (Springfield, Mass.) put back layup. The Falcons battled back, regaining the lead on a three-point play from Ruff.
The Owls took the lead back (57-55) as Prophet connected on another three-pointer, but Fitchburg State cut the deficit to 68-63 on a pair of free-throws from junior Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind.). Westfield State secured the victory however on two free-throws by Propher, resulting in the 78-72 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Ruff with a team-best 19 points and four assists
- Edegbe added 13 points, four boards and two assists
- Propeht paced the Owls with a game-leading 24 points and four assists
- Green, Jr chipped in with 16 points and ten rebounds for Westfield State
- 114th meeting between two schools with Falcons 29-85 all-time vs the Owls
- Fitchburg State shot 27-for-63 (42.9%) from the field and (6-of-21) 28.6% from three point range
- Westfield State finished 27-of-67 (47.4%) overall and (4-for-13) 30.8% for beyond the arc
- Owls held a slim 38-35 margin on the glass
- Falcons had an 25-8 advantage in bench points
Falcons conclude their season with an overall record of 13-14 and a 7-5 mark conference play. Owls advance to the championship game on Saturday and will take on the winner of the Salem State/Bridgewater State game at a time to be determined.