North Adams, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University men's basketball team defeated the Trailblazers of MCLA, 98-79 this evening in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action from the Amsler Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 98, MCLA 79
Records: Fitchburg State (6-9, 2-1 MASCAC) | MCLA (4-12, 0-4 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State grabbed a 4-0 lead to open the contest on buckets from juniors Charles Doss (Fitchburg, Mass.) and Tyrell St. John (Stamford, Conn.) before MCLA answered with a three pointer from Ki-Shawn Monroe (Springfield, Mass.). The Trailblazers took the lead back (9-8) as sophomore Hayden Byrd (Clarksburg, Mass.) connected on a jumper, but the Falcons quickly responded on a pair of layups from senior Anselm Edegbe (Benin, Nigeria) for the 12-9 edge.
With the score knotted at 18-18, MCLA took the lead back as junior Sharmar Logins (Newark, N.J.) connected on a three-ball for the 21-18 advantage. Fitchburg State retied the contest (28-28) on five straight points from senior Jonathan Perez (Lowell, Mass.) before the two teams traded buckets until the Falcons took a 41-38 margin into the break as junior Andre Ruff (Chicago, Ill.) buried a three-pointer in the corner.
Following the break, Fitchburg State extended its lead (49-38) on baskets from St. John and junior Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind.), but MCLA chipped away at the deficit (49-45) as Byrd and sophomore Antoine Montgomery (Boston, Mass.) hit jumpers.
The Green and Gold upped its margin as Tracy buried a three ball, while junior Marcos Germosen (Lawrence, Mass.) added a layup to make the score 66-54. Fitchburg State continued to build on its lead with Doss sinking a pair from the charity stripe for the 77-59 advantage.
MCLA cut into the lead (82-64) as Montgomery connected on a three ball, but the Falcons secured the victory on a three-pointer from Perez, resulting in the
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were paced by Tracy with a game best 21 points and five boards
- Doss added a double-double of 11 points and 11 rebounds for Fitchburg State
- Byrd finished with a team-leading 20 points and five caroms for the Trailblazers
- Logins chipped in with 14 points and six rebounds for MCLA
- 103rd meeting between two schools with Falcons 47-56 all-time vs the Trailblazers
- Fitchburg State shot 33-for-66 (50.0%) from the field and (11-for-21) 57.1% from three point land
- MCLA finished 25-of-67 (37.3%) overall and (12-for-27) 44.4% from beyond the arc
- Fitchburg State held a 45-37 margin in rebounds
- Trailblazers finished with a narrow 18-17 edge in assists
Falcons will host the Lancers of Worcester State University on Saturday for a MASCAC tilt, starting at 12:00 PM. Trailblazers will travel to Salem State on Tuesday for a conference bout at 5:30 PM.