Springfield Mass. - The Fitchburg State University baseball team rallied for a 7-5 triumph over the Owls of Westfield State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon from Archie Allen Field on the campus of Springfield College. With the win the Falcons clinched the seed in the upcoming MASCAC Baseball Post-Season Tournament.
Score: Fitchburg State 7, Westfield State 5
Records: Fitchburg State (23-14, 13-8 MASCAC) I Westfield State (24-13, 14-7 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened the scoring in the top of the third as junior Matthew Pingitore (Rutland, Mass.) singled to bring in classmate Brennan Cuddahy (Leominster, Mass.), while sophomore Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) added a bases loaded walk for the 2-0 advantage.
Westfield State took a 5-2 margin in the bottom half of the sixth when senior Jared Ferrari (Waltham, Mass.) laced a two-run single up the middle to score seniors Anthony Crowley (Bellingham, Mass.) and Colin Dunn (Westfield, Mass.).
The Falcons responded in the top of the seventh with Cuddahy and junior Alexander Bissanti (Franklin, Mass.) driving in runs with a bases loaded walk and a hit by pitch before freshman Vincent Eramo (Shirley, Mass.) connected on a two single through the left side.
The Green and Gold would secure the victory later in the frame on run scoring double to center field off the bat of Pingitore, while the Fitchburg State duo of sophomores Aidan Ward (Dunstable, Mass.) and Ryan Towle (Westfield, Mass.) gave up just three hits over the final two innings of play, resulting in the 7-5 final.
By The Numbers
- 87th meeting between the two teams with the Falcons 22-65 vs the Owls
- Eramo paced the Falcons, going 1-for-4 with two RBI
- Pingiore added a pair of hits, including a double and two runs batted in
- Ferrari hit 1-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI for the Owls
- Shaun Gamelin (West Kingstown, R.I.) collected the win for Fitchburg State, giving up just two hits with three K's in 1.2 innings of relief
- Troy Saulnier (Waltham, Mass.) took the loss for Westfield State, allowing five runs (4 earned) on one hit.
Falcons will host the winner of the Worcester State/Framingham State opening round contest on Thursday at 3:00 PM. Owls will host the Bridgewater State/Salem State winner on the same date at 3:00 PM.